24 Jun Director of Field Operations
BURN is seeking a Director of Field Operations, who will be responsible for rolling out an externally-funded distribution project selling and monitoring the performance of 100,000+ low-cost Kuniokoa wood stoves to rural communities in Kenya.
The ideal candidate is a well-rounded distribution and operations professional, with diverse management experience and the ability to solve complex challenges. They will recruit a distribution team and coordinate the activities of this team together with BURN’s Market Research and After Sales teams to distribute, register, and monitor through follow-up studies 1,000 Kuniokoa stoves per day for a period of 6 to 12 months.
Through these efforts they will be responsible for rolling out the first ever large-scale distribution of the world’s cleanest-burning natural-draft household rocket stove, leading to a savings of 2 million tons of wood and a 70% reduction in indoor air pollution for customers.
- Team Management: Recruit a 50-person sales team and manage their activities, KPIs, and budget.
- Distribution System: Build a lean distribution system that is highly trackable and scalable to distribute large numbers of stoves across Kenya
- Business Development: Work with BURN’s distribution partners to extend this distribution program to their networks and ensure that they are fulfilling BURN’s registration and evaluation requirements.
- Monitoring and Evaluation: Own the M&E requirements of this distribution project, including measuring specific social and environmental impact metrics through surveys and home observations.
- Problem Solving: Solve a variety of challenges as they arise in distribution, staffing, partnerships, and financials.
- Reporting: Produce weekly & monthly reports for the senior management team highlighting performance against KPIs.
Skills and Experience
- 3+ years Sales and/or Operations Mid to Senior level Management Experience (E)
- B2C sales, B2B sales, route-to-market, and supply chain, and new business development experience (E)
- Market research and statistics familiarity, successful execution of M&E projects (E)
- Ability to produce and present professional Strategy, reports, accurate forecasts, and oversee channel sales plans (E)
- Bachelor’s Degree from University (E). Master’s Degree / MBA is a plus (D)
- Experience in managing agent-based distribution of socially-impactful goods (D)
- Experience with sales/marketing of physical products (D) Durable Goods is a plus (D)
- Sales/Marketing Data Analysis experience (D)
Based in Ruiru, Kenya, BURN Manufacturing designs, produces and distributes Kenya’s best-selling, most durable and economical charcoal and wood cookstoves that dramatically reduce harmful smoke emissions which can cause significant health problems, even death.
Not only do we sell the world’s most fuel-efficient charcoal and wood household stoves, but BURN is also the only jiko company, which manufactures all of its products in sub-Saharan Africa’s only state-of-the-art clean cookstove manufacturing facility. We are extremely proud to employ 225 team members throughout Kenya and support a workforce, which is 60 percent female, thus, empowering women in roles traditionally considered to be “for men only.”
Since 2013, BURN has sold more than 500,000+ Jikokoa ™ stoves in East Africa. These stoves have helped 3,000,000 beneficiaries save $151 million in fuel expenditures and 2.6 million tons of wood while reducing indoor air pollution by 65%. BURN currently sells ~15,000 stoves per month and are on track to double sales over the next 12 months.
BURN is a corruption-free business, and in accordance with its graft policy, there is zero tolerance for giving or receiving bribes or allowing any other undue influence on our operations. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.