04 Jul Senior Technician – Maintenance
The Senior Technician – Maintenance is responsible for the proper installation and maintenance of all Plant and Equipment at Burn Manufacturing and Service facilities in Riuru.
- Plant – Ensure proper Plant maintenance through the proper implementation of maintenance Procedures and Policies
- Equipment – Ensure proper Equipment Installation and Maintenance by working with, and according to, manufacturer’s instructions.
- Spares Warehouse – Maintain a Maintenance Spares warehouse
- Calibration – Set up and ensure a Calibration schedule for all tools
- Preventative Maintenance – Set up, implement and maintain a Preventative Maintenance database
- Team – Provide Training and Leadership to Junior Maintenance Technicians. Provide training in the safe and correct use of equipment to line operators as needed
- Fabrication – Assist in the design, and fabricate, all bespoke plant Fixtures, trollies and tables
- Compliance – Ensure that all Junior technicians follow Quality Management System processes and procedures. Ensure that Safety procedures and Personal Safety Equipment are used at all times
Every member of the Maintenance team takes responsibility for supporting the business needs above, which may require expanding responsibilities as needed, additional learning, and tackling new professional challenges beyond what is reflected in this Job Description.
- Higher National Diploma in Mechanical Engineering or other Technical Discipline. We will consider candidates with Diploma plus substantial job-related experience.
- 5+ years Maintenance related experience in Manufacturing – Fabrication is a plus.
Functional Knowledge & Skills
An ideal candidate should combine technical skills in Plant and Equipment Maintenance with strong interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively as part of a team. They should be rigorous, pragmatic and on-the-ground solution focussed.
- Ability to work with professionalism and with precision while meeting strict deadlines
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Experience in Production systems – preferably in an ERP system such as Microsoft NAV
- Fluency in English (the working language of Burn)
- Fluency in Kiswahili (the national language of Kenya)
- Patience and a good sense of humour and the ability to work as part of, and to lead a team
- An energetic personality; ambitious, independent, systematic attention to detail, flexible, self-critical and able to work well under pressure
- Detail Orientated and highly organized
Based in Ruiru, Kenya, BURN Manufacturing designs, produces and distributes Kenya’s best-selling, most durable and economical charcoal and wood cookstoves that dramatically reduce harmful smoke emissions which can cause significant health problems, even death.
Not only do we sell the world’s most fuel-efficient charcoal and wood household stoves, but BURN is also the only jiko company, which manufactures all of its products in sub-Saharan Africa’s only state-of-the-art clean cookstove manufacturing facility. We are extremely proud to employ 225 team members throughout Kenya and support a workforce, which is 60 percent female, thus, empowering women in roles traditionally considered to be “for men only.”
Since 2013, BURN has sold more than 500,000+ Jikokoa ™ stoves in East Africa. These stoves have helped 3,000,000 beneficiaries save $151 million in fuel expenditures and 2.6 million tons of wood while reducing indoor air pollution by 65%. BURN currently sells ~15,000 stoves per month and are on track to double sales over the next 12 months.
BURN is a corruption-free business, and in accordance with its graft policy, there is zero tolerance for giving or receiving bribes or allowing any other undue influence on our operations. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.