14 Jul VP Finance / Chief Financial Officer
BURN Manufacturing Co. designs, manufactures and distributes aspirational fuel-efficient cooking products that save lives and forests in the developing world. BURN is the leading cookstove company in sub-Saharan Africa and has revolutionized the global cookstove sector by proving the business case for selling high quality, locally manufactured and unsubsidized cookstoves.
Since 2013, BURN has sold 300,000+ jikokoa™ stoves in East Africa. These stoves have helped 1,500,000+ beneficiaries save $61 million in fuel expenditures and 1,050,156 tons of wood while reducing indoor air pollution by 65%. BURN currently sells ~13,500 stoves per month and are on track to double sales over the next 12 months.
You, as our ideal VP Finance/CFO candidate, are someone who cares deeply about BURN’s mission. You have deep financial and management expertise and are excited about being hands-on, without getting lost in the weeds. You are a problem-solver, a direct and candid communicator, and a thoughtful change agent. You are a natural manager, able to guide our financial strategy and management while working in a complex, constantly changing and resource-constrained environment. You are able to provide clear, consistent financial leadership to inspire excellence with your team, building a sense of shared values and goals.
As part of our lean 5-person senior management team – and as one of the closest advisors to the CEO and global leadership team – you will play a key role in shaping the future of our organization as it grows from our current manufacturing hub in Kenya to multiple hubs across Sub-Saharan Africa.
You will oversee the company’s financial systems, fundraising and investor relations with the following specific responsibilities:
Strategy & Planning:
- Assist in formulating the company’s growth strategy and supporting related tactical initiatives
- Monitor and direct the implementation of financial elements of business plans
- Develop financial and tax strategies
- Lead budgeting, forecasting, and financial modeling efforts
- Manage the annual budgeting processes and quarterly forecasts
- Develop performance measures that support the company’s strategic direction
- Work with tax consultants to develop strategies for expansion and intercompany relationships
- Leadership of the Kenya Finance Department and, as they are launched, leadership of BURN finance teams across Sub-Saharan Africa
- Participate in key decisions as a member of the executive management team
- Provide strategic direction and oversight on the accounting and financial day to day operations ensuring that processes are robust and being executed correctly by the team.
- Carry out periodic reviews of the financial operations and linkages with other departments and recommend and implement changes and improvement.
- Establish and maintain scalable financial systems, processes and policies
- Review all month end reporting from finance managers and oversee the issuance of financial information
- Create reporting formats that are appropriate and specific for each set of key stakeholders (i.e. BoD, lenders, equity investors, other third parties)
- Present financial information and new strategic plans and progress on ongoing projects to the board of directors
Compliance & Risk Management:
- Create, and regularly update, a risk profile for the company
- Understand and work with finance managers to mitigate key elements of the company’s risk profile
- Construct and monitor reliable financial controls
- Ensure that the company complies with all legal and regulatory requirements and all required audits and tax returns are completed and filed timely
- Report risk issues that are identified to the board of directors
- Investigate any findings and recommendations that come from audit reports, or other reviews carried out by third parties
- Monitor cash balances and cash forecasts
- Analyze working capital needs of the company and work with third parties to secure facilities
- Work with department managers on preparing monthly cash flows and feeding these back into detailed cash flow projections to provide real-time information
- Ensure that the company has appropriate capital structure and sufficient funds to achieve its goals
- Maintain relationships with local and international lenders
- lead international debt and equity fundraising efforts, managing process for the preparation of IM to disbursement
- initiate in-country fundraising efforts for debt from local banks
- Represent the company with investment advisers and investors
HR, IT and Legal
- If appropriate, the candidate may take over management of the HR, IT and/or Compliance Departments
Qualifications and Competencies
- 3-year Finance experience outside East Africa
- Bachelor degree specializing in Finance or Accounting
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Proven financial and treasury management skills
- High level of oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrable experience in leading organizations to profitability
- Working knowledge of accounting systems
REMUNERATION: Commensurate with experience.
CLOSING DATE: Open until suitable candidate is found.
LOCATION: Nairobi, Kenya
To apply, please attach your CV and cover letter named with the filename convention:
First Name, Last Name_ VP Finance _CV/Cover Letter_Month, Year to firstname.lastname@example.org