14 Jul VP Finance / Chief Financial Officer
BURN Manufacturing Co. designs, manufactures and distributes aspirational fuel-efficient cooking products that save lives and forests in the developing world. BURN is the leading cookstove company in sub-Saharan Africa and has revolutionized the global cookstove sector by proving the business case for selling high quality, locally manufactured and unsubsidized cookstoves.
Since 2013, BURN has sold 300,000+ jikokoa™ stoves in East Africa. These stoves have helped 1,500,000+ beneficiaries save $61 million in fuel expenditures and 1,050,156 tons of wood while reducing indoor air pollution by 65%. BURN currently sells ~13,500 stoves per month and are on track to double sales over the next 12 months.
You, as our ideal VP Finance/CFO candidate, are someone who cares deeply about BURN’s mission. You have deep financial and management expertise and are excited about being hands-on, without getting lost in the weeds. You are a problem-solver, a direct and candid communicator, and a thoughtful change agent. You are a natural manager, able to guide our financial strategy and management while working in a complex, constantly changing and resource-constrained environment. You are able to provide clear, consistent financial leadership to inspire excellence with your team, building a sense of shared values and goals.
As part of our lean 5-person senior management team – and as one of the closest advisors to the CEO and global leadership team – you will play a key role in shaping the future of our organization as it grows from our current manufacturing hub in Kenya to multiple hubs across Sub-Saharan Africa.
You will oversee the company’s financial systems, fundraising and investor relations with the following specific responsibilities:
Strategy & Planning:
- Assist in formulating the company’s growth strategy and supporting related tactical initiatives
- Monitor and direct the implementation of financial elements of business plans
- Develop financial and tax strategies
- Lead budgeting, forecasting, and financial modeling efforts
- Manage the annual budgeting processes and quarterly forecasts
- Develop performance measures that support the company’s strategic direction
- Work with tax consultants to develop strategies for expansion and intercompany relationships
- Leadership of the Kenya Finance Department and, as they are launched, leadership of BURN finance teams across Sub-Saharan Africa
- Participate in key decisions as a member of the executive management team
- Provide strategic direction and oversight on the accounting and financial day to day operations ensuring that processes are robust and being executed correctly by the team.
- Carry out periodic reviews of the financial operations and linkages with other departments and recommend and implement changes and improvement.
- Establish and maintain scalable financial systems, processes and policies
- Review all month end reporting from finance managers and oversee the issuance of financial information
- Create reporting formats that are appropriate and specific for each set of key stakeholders (i.e. BoD, lenders, equity investors, other third parties)
- Present financial information and new strategic plans and progress on ongoing projects to the board of directors
Compliance & Risk Management:
- Create, and regularly update, a risk profile for the company
- Understand and work with finance managers to mitigate key elements of the company’s risk profile
- Construct and monitor reliable financial controls
- Ensure that the company complies with all legal and regulatory requirements and all required audits and tax returns are completed and filed timely
- Report risk issues that are identified to the board of directors
- Investigate any findings and recommendations that come from audit reports, or other reviews carried out by third parties
- Monitor cash balances and cash forecasts
- Analyze working capital needs of the company and work with third parties to secure facilities
- Work with department managers on preparing monthly cash flows and feeding these back into detailed cash flow projections to provide real-time information
- Ensure that the company has appropriate capital structure and sufficient funds to achieve its goals
- Maintain relationships with local and international lenders
- lead international debt and equity fundraising efforts, managing process for the preparation of IM to disbursement
- initiate in-country fundraising efforts for debt from local banks
- Represent the company with investment advisers and investors
HR, IT and Legal
- If appropriate, the candidate may take over management of the HR, IT and/or Compliance Departments
Qualifications and Competencies
- 3-year Finance experience outside East Africa
- Bachelor degree specializing in Finance or Accounting
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Proven financial and treasury management skills
- High level of oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrable experience in leading organizations to profitability
- Working knowledge of accounting systems
REMUNERATION: Commensurate with experience.
CLOSING DATE: Open until suitable candidate is found.
LOCATION: Nairobi, Kenya
To apply, please attach your CV and cover letter named with the filename convention:
First Name, Last Name_ VP Finance _CV/Cover Letter_Month, Year to [email protected]
BURN designs,locally manufactures, and distributes aspirational high quality fuel-efficient cooking products that save lives and forests in Kenya. We are looking for a Senior Technician to manage and have overall responsibility for maintenance on production tools, equipment, and infrastructure in our factory in Ruiru. Main......23 August, 2017No comment
BURN designs, manufactures, and distributes aspirational improved cooking products that save lives and forests in the developing world. BURN is the leading cookstove company in Sub-Saharan Africa and has revolutionized the global cookstove sector by proving the business case for selling high quality, locally manufactured,......02 November, 2017No comment