04 Aug Continuous Improvement Engineer
The Continuous Improvement Engineer helps to ensure that BURN Manufacturing executes a rigorous, efficient manufacturing process to deliver products on time, first-time-right, and at the right cost. This encompasses the following areas:
- Strategy and Development – Contribute to the creation and implementation of the manufacturing process, strategy, policies, processes, and procedures to develop and improve manufacturing performance
- Lean Manufacturing – Rigorous, systematic processes that contribute to high-quality products with an unrelenting focus on the elimination of waste
- Factory – Work with the Maintenance Manager to ensuring that all equipment is operational, used correctly and that all Production Issues and Design Changes are dealt with swiftly and efficiently
- Continuous Improvement – Total commitment to improving performance throughout the value chain
- Process – Ensure that the Line is balanced, that all team members follow established processes
Every member of the Operations team takes responsibility for supporting the business needs above, which may require expanding responsibilities as needed, additional learning, and tackling new professional challenges beyond what is reflected in this Job Description.
Strategy and Development
- Develop and Implement Manufacturing Improvement Processes by designing and conducting research programs.
- Financial and Budget Control – Develop and implement manufacturing process improvements that meet efficiency and cost targets.
- Provide Leadership – communicate effectively to, and work with, the production staff to secure buy-in to the processes and methods needed to deliver best practice results and continuous improvement
- Contribute to the Development of agreed Manufacturing KPI’s to measure performance and to drive continuous improvement
- Develop Assembly Processes that maximize throughput, minimize waste, and Non-Value-added activities, within budget, and to agreed Quality standards.
- Improve Manufacturing Efficiency by analyzing and planning workflow, material delivery, space requirements, and equipment layout
- Provide manufacturing decision-making information by calculating production, labor and material costs for all changes in process
Factory (Production Facility)
- Contribute to operational equipment up-time by working closely with the Production and Maintenance Manager and his team.
- Liaise with Production Management to implement agreed improvements on the Production line.
- Develop reports that support concern resolution on the line.
- Responsible for the timely introduction of all design changes in conjunction with the Master Production Scheduler
- Contribute to the Development of reports that identify waste and process deviations
- Contribute to a culture that identifies concerns from the bottom up
- Create and Implement the Policies and Procedures for discussion, implementation, and feedback on improvement activities
- Contribute to the creation and updating of Assembly Work Instructions by Activity and Team Member for each operation from Press Shop to Finished Goods to the agreed BURN format and standard.
- Monitor and Improve Line Balance in each Production Shop using controlled TAKT times to maximize throughput and efficiency
- Contribute to the layout of Lineside racking and storage to minimize inventory and waste, and maximize space utilization
- Bachelor of Engineering (BE)
To apply, visit: https://www.shortlist.net/jobs/2863
Based in Ruiru, Kenya, BURN Manufacturing designs, produces and distributes Kenya’s best selling, most durable and economical charcoal and wood cookstoves that also dramatically reduce harmful smoke emissions which can cause significant health problems, even death.
Not only do we sell the world’s most fuel-efficient charcoal and wood household stoves, but BURN is also the only jiko company which manufactures all of its products in sub-Saharan Africa’s only state-of-the-art clean cookstove manufacturing facility. We are extremely proud to employ 225 team members throughout Kenya and support a workforce that is 60 percent female, thus empowering women in roles traditionally considered to be “for men only.”
Since 2013, BURN has sold more than 880,000+ Jikokoa ™ stoves in East Africa. These stoves have helped 3,000,000 beneficiaries save $151 million in fuel expenditures and 2.6 million tons of wood while reducing indoor air pollution by 65%. BURN currently sells ~15,000 stoves per month and are on track to double sales over the next 12 months.