13 Feb Legal Fellow, Somali-Region
We are seeking a Legal Assistant for the Horn of Africa to join BURN’s exciting and fast-paced Somali-Region operation to project manage legal initiatives in the region.
You will act as the key documentarian and communicator between the local teams in the Somali-Region and BURN’s corporate management Iegal teams for all local legal matters.
The ideal candidate has an English-based legal education, as well as excellent written and spoken Somali.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Reporting: Produce weekly and monthly reports on all legal projects
- Communication: Arrange and run regular meetings between local and corporate legal teams and management teams
- Project Management: Drive the day-to-day operations of legal projects. Keep tasks organized and make sure deliverables come on time
- Record Keeping: Organize, translate, and store all legal documentation. Document the background, current status, and future plans for ongoing legal projects
- Strategy: Working with the senior management team and legal team, help come up with the strategy for legal projects
- Government Relations: Assist the Somali-Region Director in meeting and lobby government ministries
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Energetic multi-tasker, passionate about helping people save money and the environment with our efficient modern charcoal stoves
- An English-based legal education/legal degree
- Proof of previous legal reporting prepared by the candidate
- Experience or familiarity with legal matters in the Horn of Africa is a plus, particularly in Somalia
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Written and spoken fluency in English and Somali
CONTRACT PERIOD: 12 months
COMPENSATION: $1,000 per month
START DATE: April 1, 2019
TO APPLY: Please email your CV and cover letter to [email protected] in the following filename format:
[First Name, Last Name], Legal Fellow [CV/Cover Letter], [Date]
For more information on BURN please visit www.burnstoves.com
BURN is a corruption-free business, and in accordance with its graft policy, there is zero tolerance for giving or receiving bribes or allowing any other undue influence on our operations.
About BURN: Based in Ruiru, Kenya, BURN Manufacturing designs, produces and distributes Kenya’s best selling, most durable and economical charcoal and wood cookstoves that also dramatically reduce harmful smoke emissions which can cause significant health problems, even death.
Not only do we sell the world’s most fuel-efficient charcoal and wood household stoves, but BURN is also the only jiko company which manufactures all of its products in sub-Saharan Africa’s only state-of-the-art clean cookstove manufacturing facility. We are extremely proud to employ 225 team members throughout Kenya and support a workforce which is 60 percent female, thus empowering women in roles traditionally considered to be “for men only.”
Since 2013, BURN has sold more than 500,000+ Jikokoa ™ stoves in East Africa. These stoves have helped 3,000,000 beneficiaries save $151 million in fuel expenditures and